South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said on Wednesday that U.S. President Donald Trump's order to curb joint military drills appeared aimed in part at pressuring Seoul to support U.S. efforts in the Iran war, alongside other unresolved issues such as investment.
"I think President Trump's message includes pressure over several pending issues concerning the South Korean government, as well as a message to North Korea and an intention by the United States to break a stalemate in the Iran war," Cho said.
One potential source of friction could be South Korea's pledge to invest $350 billion in the United States under a trade deal signed last year, Cho said.
Seoul has yet to announce details of the investment plan, although Cho said Washington had sent Seoul a proposal outlining projects that could be considered.
"We could not move faster on the investment plan as we had to consider factors such as commercial viability and take legal procedures," Cho said. He cited other unexpected problems, without elaborating.
South Korea and the United States announced on Wednesday that they will shorten annual military drills to five days from 11 and scale back some field training, following Trump's order on a substantial reduction in U.S. participation.
South Korea's Unification Minister Chung Dong-young, who attended the same hearing, said he believes Trump was moving closer to potentially arranging a new meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un by curtailing exercises that have long angered Pyongyang.
-Reuters
"I think President Trump's message includes pressure over several pending issues concerning the South Korean government, as well as a message to North Korea and an intention by the United States to break a stalemate in the Iran war," Cho said.
One potential source of friction could be South Korea's pledge to invest $350 billion in the United States under a trade deal signed last year, Cho said.
Seoul has yet to announce details of the investment plan, although Cho said Washington had sent Seoul a proposal outlining projects that could be considered.
"We could not move faster on the investment plan as we had to consider factors such as commercial viability and take legal procedures," Cho said. He cited other unexpected problems, without elaborating.
South Korea and the United States announced on Wednesday that they will shorten annual military drills to five days from 11 and scale back some field training, following Trump's order on a substantial reduction in U.S. participation.
South Korea's Unification Minister Chung Dong-young, who attended the same hearing, said he believes Trump was moving closer to potentially arranging a new meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un by curtailing exercises that have long angered Pyongyang.
-Reuters
Latest News
Sierra Cables to invest USD 3.23 Mn to double exports
Local
21 August 2026
Police inspector and constable remanded over bribery allegations
Local
21 August 2026
Vietjet launches direct Colombo–Ho Chi Minh City service
Local
21 August 2026
Trump wants a new meeting with Kim Jong Un, North Korea says not so fast
Local
21 August 2026
Ginger rhizome rot disease spreads amid adverse weather conditions
Local
21 August 2026
Cash found in three-wheeler leads to probe into alleged US$ 1 billion forex scam
Local
21 August 2026
Namal arrives at the FCID
Local
21 August 2026
Cigarette production drops 32% amid higher tobacco taxes
Local
21 August 2026
AIA sets new national record with 416 MDRT qualifiers
Local
21 August 2026
Sri Lanka eyes $9 billion in foreign reserves by end-2026
Local
21 August 2026