A 32-year-old woman, who had been trapped under rubble for 36 hours following the 7.4-magnitude quake which shook western Colombia, has been rescued alive.
Daniela Largo was pulled from beneath a collapsed building in the city of Pereira after a 10-hour-long rescue operation.
Firefighters finally managed to reach her via a tunnel they dug below four concrete slabs under which she had been buried.
At least 188 have died in the quake, according to official figures, and hundreds remain missing.
In Pereira, a city in Colombia's coffee-growing region, 79 people are confirmed to have died, the second-highest number after Cali, where 95 are dead, according to figures by the Association of Colombian Capital Cities (Asocapitales).
Largo's mother told AFP news agency that a local resident had heard her daughter cry out for help from beneath the rubble.
Once emergency workers had arrived at the site, they were able to locate Largo with the help of a small camera.
However, her rescue was complicated by the fact that four heavy concrete slabs were blocking the way.
Local firefighters aided by colleagues deployed from the capital, Bogotá, and the disaster response team of the national police force had to dig two tunnels to reach her.
Through one opening, dug from above, they were able to provide Largo with oxygen. But it was only through a second tunnel, dug from below, that they were able to free her.
Colombian President Abelardo de la Espriella celebrated her rescue on social media, describing it as "news which fills us with hope".
Largo's mother said that "at home, her 12-year-old son is waiting for her".
In Pereira, at least 92 buildings collapsed. Fifteen people are known to be trapped and another 37 have been reported missing, according to Asocapitales.
In Cali, Colombia's third most populous city, more than 200 people remained trapped as of 16:00 local time on Tuesday.
The city's mayor declared a night-time curfew and said that soldiers would be on patrol in the worst-hit areas of Cali.
"We need to ensure that the rescue work can be carried out safely," he said, adding that there was still hope of finding more people alive and everyone would do their utmost to free those trapped.
Eighty-seven people have been rescued in the city so far.
The 7.4-magnitude quake struck at 07:34 local time (12:34 GMT) on Monday.
It had its epicentre near the village of San José del Palmar, in Chocó province, but could be felt across a vast area.
Seismometers nearest the epicentre registered shaking lasting between 90 seconds and two minutes.
There have been more than 100 aftershocks since.
-BBC
Daniela Largo was pulled from beneath a collapsed building in the city of Pereira after a 10-hour-long rescue operation.
Firefighters finally managed to reach her via a tunnel they dug below four concrete slabs under which she had been buried.
At least 188 have died in the quake, according to official figures, and hundreds remain missing.
In Pereira, a city in Colombia's coffee-growing region, 79 people are confirmed to have died, the second-highest number after Cali, where 95 are dead, according to figures by the Association of Colombian Capital Cities (Asocapitales).
Largo's mother told AFP news agency that a local resident had heard her daughter cry out for help from beneath the rubble.
Once emergency workers had arrived at the site, they were able to locate Largo with the help of a small camera.
However, her rescue was complicated by the fact that four heavy concrete slabs were blocking the way.
Local firefighters aided by colleagues deployed from the capital, Bogotá, and the disaster response team of the national police force had to dig two tunnels to reach her.
Through one opening, dug from above, they were able to provide Largo with oxygen. But it was only through a second tunnel, dug from below, that they were able to free her.
Colombian President Abelardo de la Espriella celebrated her rescue on social media, describing it as "news which fills us with hope".
Largo's mother said that "at home, her 12-year-old son is waiting for her".
In Pereira, at least 92 buildings collapsed. Fifteen people are known to be trapped and another 37 have been reported missing, according to Asocapitales.
In Cali, Colombia's third most populous city, more than 200 people remained trapped as of 16:00 local time on Tuesday.
The city's mayor declared a night-time curfew and said that soldiers would be on patrol in the worst-hit areas of Cali.
"We need to ensure that the rescue work can be carried out safely," he said, adding that there was still hope of finding more people alive and everyone would do their utmost to free those trapped.
Eighty-seven people have been rescued in the city so far.
The 7.4-magnitude quake struck at 07:34 local time (12:34 GMT) on Monday.
It had its epicentre near the village of San José del Palmar, in Chocó province, but could be felt across a vast area.
Seismometers nearest the epicentre registered shaking lasting between 90 seconds and two minutes.
There have been more than 100 aftershocks since.
-BBC
Latest News
Three Port City firms set for strategic enterprise status
Local
19 August 2026
Charles Spencer to tell Diana’s story in new book
Local
19 August 2026
Trump pushes for Kim Jong Un meeting this year
Local
19 August 2026
UAE imposes indefinite trade ban on Iran amid escalating tensions
Local
19 August 2026
Child among nine foreigners killed in Kolkata hotel blaze
Local
19 August 2026
Bayern’s Musiala diagnosed with neurological disorder after two collapses
Local
19 August 2026
UK risks running out of gas by 2030s
Local
19 August 2026
Publishers urge removal of book taxes
Local
19 August 2026
Israel drops backing for FIFA president Infantino
Local
19 August 2026
Sri Lanka secures $200m ADB loan for rebuilding
Local
19 August 2026